Metal Braces in Jacksonville Beach and Ponte Vedra Beach
What Are Metal Braces?
Metal braces are the most common orthodontic treatment. They consist of metal brackets that attach to each tooth with an archwire connecting the brackets. The archwire and other orthodontic devices are used to push and pull the teeth in order to shift them into proper alignment.
Benefits of Metal Braces
Metal braces offer many benefits:
- Effective. Metal braces are one of the most effective orthodontic treatments available. They have been used for decades as a means of aligning the teeth.
- Affordable. Traditional metal braces are more affordable than other types of braces and orthodontic treatments.
- Durable. Metal braces are made of stainless steel, which makes them strong and durable.
- Reduce dental health risks. Correcting the alignment of your teeth and bite with braces reduces the risk of tooth decay and jaw pain.
- Improve your smile. Metal braces straighten the teeth to make your smile look better, which can improve your confidence.
Types of Metal Braces
There are a few different types of metal braces:
- Traditional metal braces. Traditional metal braces are made of stainless steel and consist of a combination of brackets and archwires.
- Aesthetic braces. Aesthetic braces are made of a champagne colored metal that is often described as rose gold. They work the same way as traditional metal braces but blend in more discreetly.
- Clear braces. Clear braces include ceramic brackets that match the color of your teeth. They are connected with a metal archwire and work the same way as traditional metal braces.
Are You a Good Candidate for Metal Braces?
Most patients are good candidates for metal braces. Traditional metal braces are one of the most versatile types of orthodontic treatment that is effective for the majority of patients. Whether you have crowded teeth, gaps, misaligned teeth and bite, or other orthodontic conditions, it is likely that braces will be able to make the necessary adjustments to correct your teeth and improve your smile.
Why Choose The Brace Place?
At The Brace Place, braces are our specialty. We provide a variety of types of braces to give our patients choices when it comes to their orthodontic care. We understand that not everyone likes the metallic look of braces, which is why we offer clear and aesthetic braces that offer a more subtle appearance while you work to improve your smile.
Our board certified orthodontist, Dr. Goldknopf, is highly qualified and experienced. He is a member of the American Association of Orthodontists, the Southern Association of Orthodontists, the Florida Association of Orthodontists, and the American Dental Association, which helps him keep up to date with current technology and best practices in the field of orthodontics.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are metal braces painful?
A little discomfort after getting braces put on for the first time is normal. But once your mouth gets used to them, they are barely noticeable. Metal brackets are smaller and smoother than they used to be, resulting in less chance of irritation inside the cheeks and lips.
How long do metal braces take to straighten teeth?
Treatment with metal braces takes anywhere from 1-3 years. Most patients will wear braces for about 2 years on average.
Are there food restrictions with metal braces?
We recommend that you avoid certain foods that can damage your braces, such as corn chips, nuts, popcorn, chewy candy, gum, and anything else that would break or stick to your braces. Crunchy fruits and vegetables should be cut into bite size pieces to avoid damaging your braces.
Do metal braces damage your teeth?
Metal brackets are attached to the teeth with an adhesive material that won’t damage the enamel. The bigger risk of damage to the teeth while wearing braces is decay due to ineffective cleaning of the teeth. It is important to brush your teeth after eating and floss at least once a day to remove food particles and plaque that can lead to cavities and gum disease.