Orthodontic treatment can be just as effective for adults as it is for children. If you're ready to improve your smile with braces, your Ponte Vedra and Jacksonville Beach, FL, orthodontist, Dr. Josh Goldknopf can help you evaluate your treatment options.
Why smile issues shouldn't be ignored
Orthodontic problems can cause:
- Excessive Wear and Tear on Your Teeth and Gums: Wear and tear, cracked teeth and receding gums can occur as a result of bite problems. Bite problems occur when your upper and lower teeth don't fit together properly.
- Difficulty Speaking: In some cases, orthodontic issues can even affect your ability to pronounce certain sounds or words clearly and correctly.
- More Cavities: Overlapping teeth trap plaque, making it hard to remove the cavity-causing film when you brush and floss.
- Self-Esteem Issues: It's hard to feel confident if you want to hide your smile. Appearance concerns are an excellent reason to receive orthodontic treatment.
How braces can help adults
Orthodontic treatment straightens crooked teeth, closes gaps, eliminates crowding, and corrects overbites, underbites, crossbites and open bites. Depending on the type and severity of your orthodontic issues, Dr. Goldknopf may recommend one or more of these options during your visit to the Ponte Vedra or Jacksonville Beach dental office:
- Metal Braces: The traditional orthodontic treatment uses wires threaded through brackets to move teeth by exerting pressure on them.
- Ceramic Braces: Ceramic braces also use the wire-and-bracket system. Tooth-colored or clear wires and brackets make these braces less noticeable.
- Lingual Braces: Lingual braces keep wires and brackets hidden on the backs of your teeth. These braces are made in a dental laboratory and are a more expensive option than metal or ceramic braces.
- Invisalign: Invisalign eliminates the need for wires and brackets. Instead, you'll wear a series of clear, removable aligner trays that gradually realign your teeth. Each set in the series is designed to be worn for about two weeks. Invisalign treats many orthodontic issues and offers a discreet straightening experience for adults.
Are you ready to straighten your teeth with braces? Call your orthodontist in Ponte Vedra and Jacksonville Beach, FL, Dr. John Goldknopf, at (904) 249-0037 to schedule your appointment.