Permanent retainers keep smiles straight for life. After completing your orthodontic treatment plan, you'll need to care for your retainer daily. At The Brace Place Orthodontics in Jacksonville Beach and Ponte Vedra, FL, Dr. Josh Goldknopf helps children, teens, and adults with their bonded devices for best oral health and comfort.
An important appliance
You're so happy to have your braces off, and you love how your new smile looks and feels. You look forward to years of good oral health as your straight teeth are less prone to decay and your gums remain pink, supple, and intact.
To keep your teeth in their new, healthy, and attractive positions, follow Dr. Goldknopf's advice regarding the maintenance of your bonded-on retainer. Retainers accommodate the natural movement of your teeth but ensure remolded bone surrounding your teeth stays strong and keeps your teeth in their proper places.
Usually, Dr. Goldknopf installs these wire devices on the tongue, or lingual, side of bottom teeth right in his Jacksonville Beach or Ponte Verda, FL, office. They help patients of all ages because they cannot be lost, are hidden from view, and with consistent care, last for many years.
Maintaining your permanent retainer
If you have been taking good care of your teeth and gums while wearing braces, you'll also do well with your permanent retainer. Just be sure to:
- Continue with a healthy diet, low in sugar and carbohydrates, and high in calcium, protein, and fiber.
- Drink plenty of water every day to increase saliva and wash all tooth surfaces.
- Brush twice a day with fluoride toothpaste and a soft toothbrush. Pay particular attention to the areas around your retainer and the gum line, too.
- Choose a thin floss and/or floss threader to remove plaque from between your teeth and around your retainer. Some patients prefer interproximal picks which resemble tiny bottle brushes.
- Get your six-month exams and professional cleanings with your general dentist. He or she will assess the condition and cleanliness of your retainer.
Enjoy your beautiful smile
You will grow accustomed to your permanent retainer quickly and enjoy the stability it provides. If you have questions about its care, please contact The Brace Place Orthodontics in Jacksonville Beach or Ponte Verda, FL. Dr. Josh Goldknopf will be happy to answer them. Phone either office at (904) 249-0037.